Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Conversation with Karin Schroeck-Singh

A Conversation with Blogcaster Karin Schroeck-Singh

Please tell us about your work and background.

I’m the blogcaster (blogger/podcaster) of the “Manners And Career Blogcast” at: http://blog.mannersandcareer.com. A website that provides high-quality content to smart professionals and graduates who want to watch, listen to and read about manners and career-related topics for free. I started this blogcast during my maternity leave since I wanted to do something meaningful in that period of time. What I love in this job is the research, creating interesting and unique content in the etiquette industry, giving advice, networking and at the same time learning a lot from others too. I got excellent feedback so far and was able to increase my website traffic from month to month.
I completed my MBA at the University of Leicester (UK) in 2004. My 15 years of work experience in various sectors such as office management, recruitment, market research, operations management, teaching and training business-related subjects and business etiquette allowed me to enrich my skills portfolio and network considerably.


Where do you live?

I was born in Austria, have grown up in a German-speaking area in North Italy called Bozen/Bolzano where I spent 32 years. I worked and lived for 6,5 years in the UK and moved recently to India (New Delhi) with my husband and little daughter.


What are your greatest challenges as an Etiquette Professional in India?

I’m still in the process of finding out what the challenges in India will be. Hindi, the language spoken by most, is obviously a hurdle, even though English is considered as the Business language. However, knowing the native language is always beneficial. I started learning some basic words but realized that it will take me a long time until I will be able to be fluent in it. I also noticed that people listen to what I’m saying very carefully due to my German accent which they are not used to. Furthermore, there is a lot that needs to be researched and experienced. I noticed that researching about your competitors in the Indian etiquette industry on the internet is much more difficult. I found more relevant information in newspapers by reading articles and finding ads. Therefore I would say that researching the American etiquette industry is much easier since you can find so much information online. I do also strongly believe that teaching etiquette in the future will be delivered mostly online. Currently very few companies are doing it in a professional, interactive way. The education sector will undergo a revolution in that regard that has already started but is still not widespread. People and companies will simply want to learn this subject at their own pace, from their home or/and office, in their own time, yet in an interactive way.

Having said that, I’m not sure whether I would take up the role as an Etiquette Consultant in India. I never wanted to be just the best in a particular sector but the first and only in doing something completely new. I hope to fulfill my dream before I’ll turn 40 next year by creating something unique in the etiquette sector.


Do you think American and British Etiquette Consultants face the same etiquette challenges?

I think the problems are the same, mainly the fact that people think they don’t need to be taught on etiquette. They still haven’t realized that it has a direct (considerable) impact on a company’s bottom line.

What are the best ways you attract clients?

Since I was teaching etiquette as an employee of a world-leading Language School in England I did not have to attract any clients. But if I were an Etiquette Consultant I would obviously first focus on networking strategies before anything else. My goal in order to attract and keep clients would always be to EXCEED PEOPLES’ EXPECTATIONS, the secret of word-of-mouth. Something I learnt during my MBA while writing my dissertation on “Recommendation marketing: The creation of a word-of-mouth marketing strategy.”

What do you do to keep your skills current?

I consider myself a lifelong learner, therefore I consider learning as my biggest hobby which includes everything I do: reading, watching, listening, learning from my own and other peoples’ mistakes, observing, networking, discussing, whether it is online or offline.

Whom do you use as an advisor?

My closest family members.

Do you have a role model in the etiquette business?

No, but I’m very grateful of having had the opportunity to learn a lot from other American Etiquette Consultants. However, I must say that Patricia Rossi, Diane Gottsman and Walethia Aquil impressed me in a very thoughtful way.


Why did you go into the etiquette business?

I was always fascinated by different countries and cultures and was initially interested in International Etiquette. General Business Etiquette was something that I learnt later on. Teaching is my passion since I was six years old. I thought it was the perfect combination to teach the subject I’m most passionate about.

What do you say when people ask about "your job"?

I enjoy helping people to feel comfortable in any professional situation.


What's the best thing about being an Etiquette Professional?

Teaching other people a skill that they will need on a daily basis and they will remember for the rest of their life. It is rewarding in the sense of knowing that you make a difference in other peoples’ lives and their successes.

What's the worst thing about being an Etiquette Professional?

I can’t think of anything particularly bad.

What has been your guiding philosophy?

Learn from anyone, anywhere, anytime.


Do you have any advice for other Etiquette Professionals?

My five tips:

1.) Make sure you love what you are doing. Passion is very important to keep yourself motivated.
2.) Work hard but smart. Focus on the relevant things.
3.) Try to find out about other Etiquette Professionals experiences particularly if you just got started in this sector. (My blog offers some great interviews in that regard, look at the category “Etiquette Professionals”.)
4.) Try to be different from your competitors. Look out for a niche.
5.) Marketing is key in running your business, online as well as offline.

Thank you Karin for your thoughtful response to my questions. I do appreciate you taking the time.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to know more about Karin. She is so generous with her time, comments, and suggestions to other Etiquette Consultants. Good interview!

    ReplyDelete